BANGLADESH AND PAKISTAN: THE TABLE HAS BEEN TURNED
Everything changed on the night of 25 March 1971; The black day in history of Pakistan. That day Pakistan was divided into Two parts mainly due to arrogance of West Pakistanis. West and East was indeed together but West Pakistanis never considered the East Pakistanis to be their own. They always seen Themselves as superior because they had better economy and Social conditions but Today the table has been turned, Today while the so called Superior Pakistan is facing millions of problems and one of the worst Performing economy in the world, It’s former counterpart Bangladesh is considered the Economic Miracle of 21st century and the next Asian Economic Superpower. Why? What has pushed Pakistan Back and Pulled Bangladesh front?
West Pakistani Politicians and their Failed Diplomacy
West and East Pakistan was located strategically surrounding it’s arch rival India, and It is a fact that Pakistan as united was more powerful than India back in 1960’s but arrogance of West Pakistani Government (not people) led to the worst day in history of Pakistan. A small argument occurred when Jinnah tried to impose Urdu on Bangladeshis (In 1952) but it became big when Sheikh Mujibur Rahman won the presidential election by 60:40 ratio but West Pakistan refused to hand over power to him because he was East Pakistani. The Situation is more like Indians saying Modi can’t become the prime minister because he is from Gujarat and not Delhi. This wasn’t all; Regereded as Pakistan’s National Hero; Yahya Khan went the next level by sending Pakistani Troops to East Pakistan to kill anyone people randomly.
It is very unfortunate and funny at the same time that Pakistan was under someone’s leadership who couldn’t even keep 2 states united while India is keeping 29. Basically the Whole West Pakistan shouldn’t be blamed, It’s only handful of Politicians because there were some great such as Ayub Khan (during his reign Pakistan has developing as a whole) but politicians such as Bhutto and Yahya divided the most powerful Islamic Nation on earth and India took an advantage of It.
If Pakistan and Bangladesh was united, by 2020 our (Pakistanis and Bangladeshis) economy would total up to $1.4 Trillion, but also some could say that Bangladesh would also become the target of Terrorism but what’s gone is gone for good. Once neglected as Poor and Backward by West Pakistan; It’s former counterpart Bangladesh today provides a better life for it’s people; economically, socially, and provides a safe society to it’s citizens and better future for the next generation.
Today, The table has been turned. 43 Years ago what West Pakistanis said about Bangladeshis, Today Bangladeshi people can say the same to Pakistani Citizens.
Bangladesh Economy is Unstoppable While Pakistan’s Economy is the Worst of South Asia
Bangladesh’s economic growth is termed by many economists (famously Goldman Sachs) as the miracle of the East, From 1990 to 2014, The GDP Growth never slipped below 6% (6.2% percent has the lowest) and now Bangladesh is expecting 7.2% GDP Growth from 2015.
On the other hand, Pakistan has suffered a severe damage in economy because of Terrorism Activities because Pakistan do have the ability to build a strong economy. Pakistan’s GDP Growth has been as low as 1% (1997) and currently it’s 4.2%.
The reason behind this is political extremism caused by Taliban (Taliban have no association with Islam). The scenario in two biggest Muslim countries will give you a shock; In Last 4 Years approximately 7,000 Terrorist attacks took place in Pakistan and The Figure in Bangladesh is Zero (Not a single terrorist attack); While Pakistani Government is silent about this issue, on the other hand Bangladesh Government has placed this issue on top priority although not a single terrorist attacks took place in last 5 years.
- Till Now, Pakistan lost over $100 Billion only because of Terrorist Attack
- West Pakistan consisted of 46% while East Pakistan was consisted of 56% Population in 1971
- Ayub Khan’s vision was to make Chittagong (Bangladesh) the industrial hub of Pakistan and today It is the industrial hub of Bangladesh; a place where $30bn worth of garments come from.
- The Pakistan Nuclear Program started in 1667 in Bangladesh (East Pakistan), but was later stalled because of War of 1971.
- Bangladesh and Pakistan both exported garments worth of $2bn in 2002; $6bn in 2006, but today Bangladesh export Garments worth of $30bn while Pakistan only export $10bn.
- India and Pakistan was on the last step to sign a deal where India would give up West Bengal to Pakistan but on the last moment they took half of Punjab instead.
- Before 1971, A Pakistani Politician termed Bangladesh as uncivilized and said “Bangladeshis doesn’t deserve to use toilet”; ironically, Today Bangladeshis have better sanitation access than Pakistan (81% Bangladesh – 66% Pakistan)
- Economists predicted that Bangladesh’s export will rise to $60bn by 2021.
- In 2030; Bangladesh will be the only upper-middle income economy in Subcontinent.
Originally posted http://futurebangladesh.hubpages.com/
NOVEMBER 05, 2014